Watch the video below.
The list of 2021 New York City mayoral candidates include some names everyone knows, from Eric Adams to Scott Stringer, but most people might not know that there’s an African American woman running for the seat as well. Her name is Joycelyn Taylor, who grew up in East New York. New York City has never had an African American woman as mayor. Will 2021 be the year?
Joycelyn Taylor, quote from her campaign website, “I was born and raised in Brooklyn and I am damn proud of it. Growing up in NYCHA was different at that time.My family was one of the first African American families to move into NYCHA at Louis H. Pink Houses in East New York.
My mother was raised in the South where she adopted “Root Hog or Die” as a dogma, always working hard to barely survive. She grew up in poverty in South Carolina, and migrated to NYC as a teenager to seek a better life for herself.
Find out more about Taylor at Taylorfor2021.com
See More Segments of VOICES of East New York with Nikki Lucas
- Owner of Fusion East Restaurant Talking Entrepreneurship & Business
- Attorney Ed King on Eviction Laws for Tenants & Landlords
- Congressman Hakeem Jeffries
- Global Hip Hop Artist & Producer KOTA The Friend Talking Independence & Music Industry
- District Attorney Eric Gonzalez
- President of Freelancers Union, Rafael Espinal Talking About Entrepreneurship
- Senator Roxanne Persaud
- Senator Julia Salazar
- See the Full List of One on One Interviews Here
Leave a Reply